977.359 A History of Heyworth
LIBRARY OF THE
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
By CHARLES A. MARKER
Heyworth Star, Print.
A History of Heyworth
I. Historical background of the locality.
A. Early conquests.
B. Governmental disputes.
1. Countries involved.
II. Nature of the vicinity.
A. Surface features.
B'. Animal and plant life.
III. Inhabitants and first settlers.
B. White men.
1. Their migration here.
2. Steps toward establishing homes.
IV. The Illinois Central Railroad.
A. Its character.
B. Date of construction.
C. First station agents.
V. Formation of the town.
A. Reasons for its foundation.
1. Questions arising,
a. Parties involved.
B. Naming the new station, or town.
1. Questions arising.
C. Its' incorporation.
1. Provisions of the charter.
C. Changes in systems.
D. Provisions under which schools were formed.
B. Dates when started.
B. Dates of Circulation.
C. The management.
IX. Secret orders, clubs, etc.
94 ! 433
B. Dates when' started.
C. Membership, if known.
X. Unusual fires, storms, etc.
B. Where staged.
XII. Early industries and practices.
A. Manufacturing (milling, etc.)
B. Business houses.
2. Kind of business carried on.
"C. The annual horse fair.
D. The utilization of natural gas.
1. The company.
2. Source of supply.
3. Its use and cost.
4. Dates of introduction and failure.
XIII. Business houses from a later date to the present time.
A. Names of classes of business.
B. Names of firms.
C. Location (east or west of the I. C. R. R. tracks.)
D. Approximate dates of beginning in business.
XIV. Heyworth in the Twentieth Century.
A. Classifications of improvements.
B. Their utility.
In this History of Heyworth the author has endeavored to set
forth an interesting account of the village from its foundation to the
A narration on the possession of the territory in which the town
now stands was deemed necessary for a more vivid picture of the
vicinity before settlement days. Consequently, such an introduction
was placed in advance of the extensive discourse on the town and its
It is the author's sole intention to- record and interpret the history
of Heyworth, a task which is very difficult to fully accomplish be-
cause of varied sources of information and numerous inevitable errors,
together with other handicaps. He wishes and has tried in every way
possible not to slight anyone in any way. All notifications of errors
or corrections will be heartily accepted by the author.
Much time was spent in interviewing many of the older residents,
to whom the author is greatly indebted. It was only by their faithful
attention and cooperation, together with that of the teachers in the
Heyworth Community High School, that this work was composed for
presentation to the citizens of Heyworth.
C. A. M.
Why was Heyworth brought into existence? The founding of
Heyworth was one of the multitude of foundations in America re-
sulting from that ardent desire to seek new homes in the broad and
fertile lands of the West. In the early part of the Seventeenth Century,
the English and French started explorations in America. Unlike the
English, the French moved rapidly westward, following the St. Law-
rence and Great Lakes.
In 1671, a Frenchman, St. Lusson, standing at Sault Ste. Marie,
took possesion of the vast Northwest for France. A few lears later,
LaSalle passed down the Illinois River, entered the Mississippi, and
extended France's dominion from the Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico.
England became restless. War broke out between England and
her competitor in 1689, and lasted till 1763.
In 1776, the Revolutionary War broke out between England and
her colonies in America. In 1779, George Rogers Clark of Kentucky
won the land north of the Ohio River. Many of the original States
held parts of that region. Parts of the land which is now Illinois, were
then claimed by the States of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Vir-
ginia. The States later abandoned their claims on this land; at which
time, July 13, 1787, it was organized by Congress into the Northwest
The act of organization was called the Northwest Ordinance, and
placed the territory under a governor and three judges until the popu-
lation should be large enough for real representative government. The
present States in the territory were formed one by one, Illinois being
admitted in 1818.
Migration steadily moved into the new State, Illinois, at the dawn-
ing of each day. Some of the settlers travelled across country with
ox-teams and covered wagons; others floated down the beautiful Ohio
on flat boats. No doubt their minds were filled with broad visions of
the vast privileges which lay ahead of them, but it is hardly possible
that they realized there would someday be a prosperous and thriving
town, Heyworth, left as a growing monument of their non-tiring efforts.
They were simply seeking better homes.
THE BEGINNING OF HEYWORTH
Some of those staunch settlers had a marked influence upon the
one particular district or settlement in which we are interested — Hey-
worth. This locality was covered by a heavy growth of timber and
underbrush which was inhabited by the Kickapoo Indians 1 , and was
the abode of great numbers of deer, wild turkeys, and packs of large
gray wolves. Away to the east and south stretched the broad prairies
with their swamp-lands heavily covered with prairie grass and tra-
versed by multitudes of prairie chickens and wolves.
It was to this region that many worthy settlers came; some of
whom are still prominent figures in the memories of the older citizens.
There were the Rutledges, Funks, Passwaters, Bishops, Nobles, Karrs,
Wakefields, and Martins; some of them coming as early as 1824. All
these families settled in the immediate vicinity of the present village
Campbell Wakefield was essentially the founder of Heyworth. He
first came into this region in June, 1835. In the same year, he returned
to Ohio, and brought his family back to Illinois, travelling with one
large ox-cart and two horse-teams. He was accompanied by Capt.
George Martin 3 . Both men followed farming. They were stalwart and
idealistic figures in the settlement.
The Wakefield home was made, for the first six years 1 , in a double
log cabin, the bark being left on the logs. It was located at the
eastern edge of Heyworth, a short distance east of the present resi-
dence of C. W. Holforty.
In December, 1836, a damaging freeze came. On this particular
day, a gentle rain was falling; suddenly a large black cloud appeared
in the west, and the temperature began falling at once. The freeze
was so sudden that chickens were frozen to death in the mud. Such
a heavy coat of ice was 1 formed on the surface of the earth, and it
was everywhere so slippery, that when Mr. Wakefield went deer hunt-
ing, he succeeded in catching the deer with dogs.
Wakefield later hauled wheat to Chicago, there being no railroad
through here at that time. In return for his hard labor, he received
forty or fifty cents per bushel for the wheat. The transportation of the
grain required several weeks of time. Often storms would swell the
rivers between here and Chicago, and the farmers would be detained
for several days. Most of the streams had to be forded. Live-stock
was often driven overland to Chicago.
In the course of his achievements, Campbell Wakefield became the
a Many traces still remain, a very prominent one being the burial
ground along Kickapoo, north of town.
Two other families came at the same time, but no record is avail-
able. The Karrs came about the same time.
owner of a vast tract of land of which Heyworth now occupies a por-
tion. He entered some of the land and bought some, and continued
adding to his original tract until he obtained about fifteen hundred
acres in one plot.
Walter Karr, who had settled near the site of Heyworth a year
before the arrival of Wakefield, took up farming in March, 1834. His
home was located near the present site of Schoeflfel's meat market.
The house was surrounded by a heavy growth of thicket and stately
oak trees; the thicket was almost impenetrable.
In the course of time and by virtue of the fact that death visits
all homes, a final resting place was necessitated in the spring of 1835.
It was during the spring following Mr. Karr's arrival, that his
little three-years-old boy, Charles, was drowned in a well. Up to this
time, all burials had been made in the cemetery north of the Grove 1 .
It was decided that a place of burial must be provided nearer by; so
the present location was chosen. "Walter Karr's little one was the
first one laid here to sleep 2 ." James Martin, from Tennessee was the
second, and a little daughter of Esquire Buck was the third interment.
Hiram Buck was very prominently identified with the political,
educational, and agricultural interests in the early history of McLean
County. He came here to live in 1833. He built a house three hundred
yards east of the location where Campbell Wakefield settled, two years
Henry Allen ("Judge") Karr was a prominent esquire in the early
history of the town. He was the son of Walter Karr who was men-
THE ILLINOIS CENTRAL RAILROAD
As the population increased and industries began to spring up, it
was seen that railroads were needed and could be used to great ad-
vantage. Such was the case in central Illinois.
"The oldest railroad in McLean County in point of first being
projected, is the Illinois Central, which was part of the great scheme
of internal improvements which the State Legislature voted in 1837.
The State voted its credit to the Illinois Central road to the extent of
$3,500,000. The building of the road was started when the financial
catastrophe of 1841 occurred, and its further construction was delayed
for ten years." 3
"On September 30, 1850, a law was passed by Congress, donating
to the State of Illinois, for the use of the Central Railroad, nearly
2,500,000 acres of public land, the State to dictate the terms on which
the land was to be granted. The State in turn required by law that the
Central Road should p ay to the State treasury 7% of its gross receipts.
'This patch of Timber was called Randolph's Grove, after the first
white settler here, Gardner Randolph. The cemetery is now known as
'History of McLean County, Illinois— LeBaron, 1879.
3 History of McLean County, Illinois— Hasbrouck, 1924,
This payment grew as years went on until it reached $1,000,000 per
year. Afterward, many of the counties, including McLean, complained
that part of this money received from the Illinois Central, should go
into the county treasuries of the counties through which the road was
Six years were required for the construction of the entire road.
In 1852 and 1853, the road was constructed through the Wakefield
land. In 1S54, there was only one dwelling on the site of the town;
it was the log cabin of Capt. Martin, and stood near the spot where
Dr. Turner's office is now located. "When the cars began running in
1855, the question immediately arose as to the location of a station
in the vicinity, for it was known that one would be at some place in
Randolph's Grove, but it was not easy to find out just where." 2
'There was an interest at Bishop's 3 , one and one-half miles north
of the place where Hey worth now stands, wheih it was thought could
not well be defeated. John Nichols of Bloomington, who was under-
stood to rely on the influence of General Gridley, a very influential
factor in the legislature and in getting the railroad through Blooming-
ton, had purchased a piece of land from Enoch Passvvaters and plat-
ted a town on it." 2
A side-track had been put into a gravel bank near-by, for the
purpose of obtaining gravel for the road bed, and everything looked
as though the station would be located there 1 . The contest grew lively
between Wakefield, Funk, and VanOrdstrand on the one side and
Nichols and his party on the other. Gridley indulged in pointed re-
marks in regard to the officials of the railroad; then Wakefield im-
mediately laid off forty acres in the southwest quarter of the south-
west quarter of Section 34, and at once transferred an individual half
for the foundation of the town, sufficient for the Presbyterian Church,
a district school, and also for a depot, side tracks, etc.; the alternate
lots were given to the railroad.
The controversy was soon settled as to the location of the station.
Wakefield had made the final decision for the directors of the road.
The next steps taken, were toward the establishment of the station and
postoffice, and the naming of the station.
Previous to the construction of the railroad, there was no post-
office located here. In those days the mail was carried from place to
place by stage coaches. Such a line ran through this vicinity; a sta-
tion being located in the Short Point neighborhood, about two miles
southwest of the present village of Heyworth 2 . A hotel was located
there and the travelers would often remain there overnight. In the
morning they would set out again with new or different teams of
horses, and travel till they came to another station where the horses
"History of McLean County, Illinois— Hasbrouck, 1°24.
'History of McLean County, Illinois — LeBaron, 1879.
3 Martin W. Bishop was the owner of a vast tract of land, some
of which was located in the neighborhood of Heyworth. His home
was the farm now owned by Spaid's. At one time, he had twelve
hundred acres, extending nearly to Funk's Grove and Shirley.
were again exchanged for new and rested ones. Thus, travelling and
mail transportation were carried on before the days of the railroad.
After the railroad was built, but prior to the establishment of the
station, there was no postoffice in' the town. The mail was dropped
off the train and carried out to Independence, the name of an office
and general store combined; it was located a short distance west of
town, on the Squire YanOrdstrand farm, over a half mile west of the
present Community High School.
Around the year of 1856, when the new station was named, the
first postoffice was established in Hey worth; it was located near the
present site of S. A. Martin's drug store. It burned about the year
1857. J. C. McFarland later operated his general store, which was
erected on the same site, in connection with his position as Post-
master. This building burned in 1860. In 1861, G. M. Delano was
appointed Postmaster by President Lincoln. He was the father of
William Delano, the veteran station agent.
Those interested here called it "Elmwood," but finding that that
name had been appropriated by a Mr. Phelps in Peoria County long be-
fore, the President of the Illinois Central proposed to call the new
station "Heyworth," the name of an English director of the road.
This was in 1856. It was then seen that the future growth of that
enterprising little hamlet, Lytleville, located just a few miles north-
east of Heyworth, would be limited, and many of the natives turned
their faces and steps toward their new neighbor on the railroad.
The first station agent in Heyworth was a man by the name of
Bushnell, the second — William VanOrdstrand, the third — W r illiam
Ream, the fourth — J. M. Liscom, and the fifth — W r illiam Delano, who
has served up to a very recent time; he has been in' the employ of the
I. C. for forty-seven years, and is one of the veteran agents of the
country. He is now retired. Colonel Ross was the first section fore-
man. The fourth agent, J. M. Liscom, was the father of A. D. Lis 1 -
com, who resides in Heyworth at the present time. Mrs. J. M. Liscom,
whose maiden name was Margaret Ellen Kinzie was born March 3,
1836, in Chicago. She was the first white child born in that city. She
w r as an object of much interest, because of the above fact, and was
offered large sums of money to appear on exhibition, for that reason.
However she declined from all offers. She passed away in 1909, at
the age of seventy-t'hree.
The railroad stimulated trade and aided in the growth of the town.
Railroads were not so numerous in those days, and stations were few
and far between. Consequently, the farmers were required to haul
*Near where Spaid's crossing is now located. Dr. Harrison Noble
owned the gravel bank. (I. YanOrdstrand was also a prominent early
2 The old barn still stands on this farm now owned by Joseph
their grain and' other products to those stations. They would naturally
take a load of provisions home with them. Such patronage and trade
induced business men to locate here. People wishing to go to Bloom-
ington or Clinton, on the train, would come to Heyworth, and, prob-
ably do some of their shopping here. People who sought homes in
town would always seek the city on the railroad. Thus the railroad
was a stimulating factor in the growth of the town and its trade.
Numerous mishaps are more or less common occurrences on the
railroad, while a serious disaster happens now and then. The Illinois
Central bridge across Kickapoo Creek, north of Heyworth, collapsed
on February 25, 1883, while a freight train was passing over it. Four
cars went down into the river, and one car of meat, that did not go
into the river, burned.
In 1855, before the station was established, O. C. Rutledge pur-
chased and shipped the first grain ever sent from this point. Only
wheat was bought at first. It was weighed in bags on a small platform
scale and carried out to the car which was on the track. The cars were
small and ten tons was the limit of loading. It was extremely difficult
to get cars, because of the small number in circulation on the roads;
they were often loaded at night while the train waited.
As soon as the station was established, J. C. Frisbee had the
honor of setting up the first depot; it was an old structure which
he had moved from some other location. Soon afterward, he took up
the grain-buying business.
In 1888. the I. C. was planning on extending their branch road,
from Leroy on west, through Heyworth. The route was even surveyed,
but from some cause or other the project failed to materialize.
THE FOUNDATION OF THE TOWN
After the establishment of the station, Campbell Wakefield made
several donations to encourage trade and induce business men to locate
in the new town. He became the proprietor of the new town. Frisbee
soon afterward platted an addition west of the Wakefield section. The
town was originally surveyed by Peter Folsom, on July 16, 1857. On
September 11, 1858, Wakefield platted the village as it now stands.
He has since laid out and platted his first, second, and third additions
on the south and east sides of the original town. At a later time, the
Karr addition was added on the south and west sides of Frisbee's
Main Street has a peculiar crook in the way it is laid out. The
Wakefield land which lies mostly east of the I. C. tracks, was sur-
veyed and the streets laid out so as to run straight with the world,
east and west; the land on the west side of the tracks was surveyed
in relation to the railroad. The railroad runs in a northwesterly and
southeasterly direction. Consequently, there is a bow in the street,
and the city blocks are not all exactly square or of the same size.
By Special Act of the Legislature, the village was incorporated
on March 31, 1869. The charter gave the corporation — which was in
the hands of five trustees, elected annually, one of whom was elected
president — all the authority needed to run a city of the first class;
they were even given the right of borrowing money on the credit of
the town and lighting the city with gas. They could grant a license
to sell liquor only upon a vote of legal voters at the annual term
elections. The question of license had to be submitted each year.
However, at a later date, saloons were permitted to operate on
the west side of town, but such has never been the case on the east
side, for it was placed in the deed for the Wakefield land that all the
land would go back to the estate if ever used for such purposes.
From one source of information it was found that up to the year
of 1879, a license permitting the sale of liquor had never been voted
in the affirmative. In that year the Town Board was as follows: A. R.
Nickerson, J. J. Hancock, J. B. Rutledge, William Marker, and C.
At the present time (1926), the Village Board is as follows: David
Ryburn — President, Irl A. Cruikshan'k — Clerk.
Trustees: O. L. Weaver, C. W. Miller, A. L. Graupman, E. O.
Washburn, J. H. Humes, Harry Cruikshank.
The following are the national census reports of Heyworth for
every decade since its incorporation.
U. S. Census report in 1870 was 1 900 inhabitants; U. S. Census
report in 1880 was 560 inhabitants; U. S. Census report in 1S90 was 566
inhabitants: U. S. Census report in 1900 was 683 inhabitants; U. S.
Census report in 1910 was 6S1 inhabitants; U. S. Census report in 1920
was 851 inhabitants.
In all branches of progress, whether made by the individual, state,
or nation, the higher attainments can be achieved only by the intro-
duction and application of that mental agency — education. Such was
the ideal which the early settlers strove to establish and encourage.
Even such far-sighted men as Jefferson realized the magnitude of
the crops, which would be reaped from the golden opportunity, given
the settlers, in the new lands; namely, the advantage of an ample and
free education for their children. Therefore, Jefferson was a sturdy
supporter of the Ordinance of 1787, which provided, in the North-
west Territory, among other things, for reservations of land for public
school purposes. The provision gave to each State, territory equivalent
to one township for a seminary and every section numbered 16 for
school purposes-; that is, one-thirty-sixth of all the land, for public
In the year 1838, after plans were laid for homes in this new
country and in the vicinity of Heyworth, attention was turned toward
providing for instruction of the children.
The first pioneer "academy" was a hewed log house north and east
of the Funk homestead, a little over a mile east of Heyworth. It had
a large fireplace, puncheon floor, and rustic furniture; neatly hewed
slabs, with legs, were used for seats and desks. The sponsors of this
institution were: Jesse Funk, Thomas O. Rutledge, Campbell Wake-
field, and George Martin. Some of the boys who spent their juvenile
days here were: J. W. Funk, H. A. Karr, J. E. Wakefield, and Joseph
and A. C. Martin. The teachers were: Thomas Dunham, Miss Mary
Elder, William Leeper, and J. W. Burrows.
The second school, which was near the old Wakefield homestead,
was a double cabin vacated by Campbell Wakefield. It was used for
two terms. A Mr. Conklin taught the first term, and William Reeves
"For some reason, the educational institutions were migratory.
School, the next term, was held in the large barn of the J. E. Wake-
field homestead, now owned by Dr. F. L. Wakefield; it is located about
a quarter of a mile east of Heyworth. There was but one term here
and Isaac Hougham was the teacher. He divided his time between
taming the wild prairie and wedding the birch. He helped with the
hard "sums," often appearing as a bootless as well as sockless pro-
fessor 1 ."
"The fourth school was a frame building owned by Jessee Funk
and brought in from the prairie and located in the western border of
the Funk timber'." It was located a mile east of Heyworth. "Around
this school were many exciting memories of 'hookey' in which the
students were wont to chase rabbits and other game, and the next day
receive their reward in the way of an old-fashioned iicken.' Among
the masters whose frowns and commands struct terror in the hearts of
the guilty were: William Willson, Peter Folsom, Joseph Macon, and
Later, school was held across Kickapoo, north of town'; the first
school house was the Cisco cabin, but soon afterward a new building
was erected on the Dr. Noble land. Dr. Harrison Noble and Samuel
J. Reader were deeply interested in this school and sponsored it.
The gradual increase in population made another school house
imperative. In 1853, a new building was erected on the I. VanOrd-
strand farm, a little over a quarter of a mile west of Heyworth, just
out of the village corporation limits; it was known as the Locust Grove
School. Here, modern text-books and ideas were used. Among the
teachers here were: J. R. Burrows, O. C. Rutledge, Emma Elder,
Miss Maggie Leeper, and others.
In 1858, this school was removed to the eastern part of Heyworth,
where the Willis property is now located. It was used as a school
until 1866; at which time, the present district was incorporated.
Another building, known as the Reader School, was erected op-
posite the Frank Romine residence, one mile west and one-fourth mile
'Transactions of the McLean County Historical Society and School
Record of McLean County, With Other Papers— Vol. II, 1903, Pages
south of Hcyworth, at the removal of school above described. This
building was also moved to Heyworth in 1866, and used as a dwelling
in the north part of town. It is still used as a dwelling.
In 1S63, a new building was provided for a district embracing the
western side of Heyworth; the first teacher was a Mr. Austin and the
second, Mr. James. This west side district was also absorbed by the
Heyworth school district in 1866. It remains in its old location, being
the dwelling opposite the Christian Church, on the west.
These schools were supported by public funds. The salaries of the
teachers ranged from twenty to twenty-five dollars per month. The
three R's were the principal subjects taught in the earlier days. Much
pleasure was added to school life in those days when the older folks
took part in spelling bees, and singing schools were held.
The building erected in 1865 was 36 ft. by 65 ft., two stories, and
cost about $5,000. It stood where the present grade school building
stands. A separate building was provided for the primary department;
this building was formerly the first Presbyterian Church. It was
located in the northwest corner of the school yard. There were four
grades: grammar, first and second intermediate, and primary. School
was held four months in the winter and two months in the summer.
The average attendance in 1879 was 185, in the winter, and 132 in the
The present incorporated district was organized on March 20, 1867,
as district number 2. Under the special charter granted by the Legis-
lature of Illinois on March 5, 1867, there were seven directors, one
going out each year. The promoters of the organization were: C.
Wakefield, Dr. H. Noble, Samuel Hill, John Kelley, I. VanOrdstrand,
R. G. Laughlin, M. Millinns, and Francis M. Philbrook. The latter
seven were named in the charter.
The successive superintendents up to the time the high school was
started were: W. L. Glover in the year 1866-67; C. A. Laus in the year
1867 (spring); D. C. Clark in the year 1867-68; S. H. Stephenson in the
year 1868-70; A. G. Scott in the year 1870-71; J. R. McGreggor in the
year 1871-73; J. E. Jewett in the year 1873-75; L. B. Wadsworth in the
year 1875-76; A. M. Scott in the year 1876-78.
The district contains about 6338 acres; this is a little less than
ten sections 1 .
As soon as this district was incorporated, it was organized as a
graded school, with W. L. Glover as principal. Many of the young
men, just out of the army, were given an opportunity to take up their
interrupted work, and a large attendance was at once assured. For
the year ending September 30, 1873, there were one hundred ninety-
four pupils in' this school.
'Transactions of the McLean County Historical Society and School
Record of McLean County, With Other Papers— Vol. II, 1903, Pages
About 1S76, the high school department was started. The higher
branches taught were: Algebra, natural sciences, and rhetoric. The first
class to graduate from the Heyworth High School was the class of
1878. The superintendent was A. M. Scott. The members of the
class were: Delia McCorkle, George D. Chadderan, Jodie Dill, Lyon
Karr, and Orvil J. Rodgers.
A new brick building was built in 1898, at the cost of $14,000, and
is still standing, being used for the grades. The building committee
was composed of Drs. W. Hill and Miller. The present district num-
ber 16, having been changed about 1900 from District number 2. The
Board of Education is (1926) made up of the following members:
Charles Ryburn — President, Mrs. Herbert Stewart — Clerk, William De-
lano, E. S. Washburn, Mrs. J. P. Shelton, F. A. Ball, and T. W.
The early attendance of the grade school was approximately the
same as the present number, often exceeding the present limit.
The new community High School, district number 377, was or-
ganized under the regular Community High School Law in 1920.
The new building was erected in 1921. There are $125,000 invested
in bonds which retire by 193S. There are approximately sixty square
miles in the district. The assessed valuation of the school district is
Heyworth Community High School is accredited by the University
of Illinois and recognized by the State Department of Public Instruc-
tion. The Course of Study consists of the following branches or
courses: College Preparatory, Home Economics, Manual Training,
Agriculture, and Commercial.
The average number of students enrolled each year, since the
organization of the Community District, has centered around one
hundred. In September, 1925 there were one hundred eight enrolled
for the school year, 1925-1926.
The present (1926) Board of Education is composed of the fol-
lowing people: Charles Ryburn — President, Ralph Jones — Secretary,
A. M. Reed, Walter Nichols, and Elmer Fulton.
In connection' with both the grade and high school, the School
and Community Club was organized in 1915. Its purpose is to foster
closer relation between the homes and the schools. It has made several
worthy contributions to the schools.
The church is the foster parent of brotherly love. Probably love
is the predecessor of success, which can be honorably and faultlessly
attained only through the support resulting from moral force. The
early settlers realized the fortitude of a foundation established in such
a way, and strove to increase its power.
Churches soon sprang up where the settlers took up their homes.
The Presbyterian Sabbath School was started by the Wakefields and
Mrs. Hannah Elder, in 1838. The meetings were held in the homes.
The Randolph Grove Presbyterian' Church was organized on March 9.
1844, by Rev. Josiah Porter, of Waynesville. There were twelve mem-
bers, all of whom were received by letter from churches in the western
part of Hamilton County, Ohio. "The original members were: Camp-
bell Wakefield and Margaret, his wife, J. M. Wakefield and Nancy,
his wife, Homer Buck and Mary, his wife, Robert Spence and Anna,
his wife, John Finnie and Elizabeth, his wife, Mrs. Margaret Karr, and
Mrs. Hannah Elder." 1 This was the first church organization in the
"For a year or two, Mr. Porter continued to serve the little church,
preaching in the east room of the Wakefield home where the organiza-
tion had been affected. In 1848, Rev. D. I. Perry was engaged to
preach once a month, which engagement continued two years. After
him, Rev. A. H. Rogers, of Waynesville, was employed for two years,
one-fourth of his time." 1 Church, like Sabbath School, was also held
in the homes, it being for a period of nine years.
The first church was built in 1853, at a cost of $900, and dedi-
cated in May by Rev. F. N. Ewing, of Bloomington. The lumber
for the building was hauled from Peoria. The church was later used
as a primary school, and was' located in the northeast corner of the
present grade school yard. After the construction of the church, the
successive pastors were: Revs. J. H. Moore (from 1853 till the fall
of 1854), S. H. Stevenson (from August, 1855 till April, 1863), John
Wilson (from October, 1863 till the spring of 1865), and A. L. Knox
(from January, 1866 till October, 1870). During Rev. Knox's term
here, which continued to 1870, the church increased to 121 members.
The present parsonage was built in 1866, at a cost of about $1,800.
The next house of worship was erected in 1870. It was a two-
story struclure, 38 ft. by 70 ft., and the cost, including the bell, was
$9,000. It was dedicated on July 10, 1870, by Rev. I. N. Cornelison.
Rev. W. R. Glenn was the pastor for one year, and was followed by
Rev. H. R. Peairs, who served from April, 1873, till 1882. Rev. W.
P. Gibson followed, from the fall of 1882 till the fall of 1884. Rev.
A. J. Herries became pastor of the church from the fall of 1885 till
'History of McLean County, Illinois— Wm. LeBaron, Jr.— 1879.
the spring of 1887. Rev. Geo. B. Black supplied the church from May,
1887, till April, 1888. Rev. R. E. Anderson began his labors in Novem-
ber, 1888, and continued till November, 1899.
This building^the second house of worship, was destroyed by fire
on the morning of March 9, 1896. The ground was broken for the
present building on' July 9, and the first stone of the foundation laid
August 4, 1896. It was dedicated by Rev. Anderson on January 17,
1897. A large pipe organ was installed in 1912. The membership is
now made up of about 300 people, although there were only twelve
original members. There was a considerable increase between the years
of 1844 and 1926 (82 years).
In" the early days, not all the people attended church in town, so
places of worship were provided in the country districts. These
churches were usually branches of the church of the same denomination
located in a near-by town. Such was the case in regard to the Hey-
worth churches. The pastors would serve both the town church and
its tributary churches.
The Heyworth Presbyterian Church had a tributary church, al-
though it (the branch church) was in the Bloomington' Presbytery.
The name of this church was "Mount Carmel." It was organized
about 1890, and the building was dedicated by Rev. R. E. Anderson,
on December 7, 1890. There was a large number of members con-
nected with Mount Carmel. It has disbanded in' the last few years,
and many of the members have transferred their membership to town
churches. The membership was so great at one time, that not all the
members could crowd into the meeting house on some occasions. The
building was located five miles east of Heyworth and one mile north.
Though there was only one Methodist Episcopal Church in Hey-
worth, in the early days, there were three others in Randolph Town-
ship, and they were all more or less united, especially from a historical
standpoint. The Methodists were very active in the Grove. The early
places of meeting of the Randolph Grove Circuit were usually at the
near-by school houses, where the Heyworth Church, the Shiloh Church,
and Wesley Chapel now stand. There was also a church called the
Sparta Church, which was located near the site of the present Sparta
school, east of Randolph.
In 1853, the Rev. Mr. Carlos was the pastor at these several
appointments; the following year, Rev. Mr. O'Neill, and after him, the
Rev. Mr. Barthlow; others followed whose names cannot be learned.
*In 1863, Rev. Mr. Hendall was sent to this circuit, and was instru-
mental in building the Shiloh Church, which is located about four miles
northeast of Heyworth. The following year Rev. Thomas E. Wam-
sley was on the circuit, and started the matter of building churches
at the other appointments. The previous year he had been engage d in
'History of McLean County Illinois — Win. LeBaron, Jr. — 1879.
completing the church at Wapella, and thought all things were pos-
sible. Several attempts to build the church at Heyworth had been made,
and only ended in talk.
" 'Father' Wamsley got a subscription paper, and went through
the usual form of getting signatures. He then hired a man to lay
the foundation, and engaged the material for building, and then there
was no alternative but to collect what had been subscribed. The people
took hold very liberally, and a good, substantial building, 34 ft. by
50 ft., with belfry, spire and bell, was erected at a cost of about $3,030.
This was in 1864. In 1S65, under 'Father' Wamsley's ministration and
energetic spirit, Wesley Chapel was built on the land of Jonathan
Houser, on the southeast corner of Section 16, at a cost of about
$2,8GO." 1 Mr. Houser, John Rust, and George Crookshank were effi-
cient sponsors of this enterprise.
"The following year, 1866, Rev. C. D. James had charge of the
circuit, and Rev. Wamsley was his assistant." 1 This year, Sparta
Church was built in the southeast part of Section 11, northeast of
Heyworth. A. M. Stringfield, Albert Welch, E. J. Moore, and Mr.
Ijams were liberal sponsors of this work.
The early circuit preachers, after the foundation of the Chapel
were: Cornelius Bradshaw, S. Martin, Arthur Bradshaw, Thomas Sim-
mons, Messrs. Lattimer, Sail, Joseph Long, McCoy, and John Enerly.
The circuit belonged to Bloomington District of the Illinois Con-
ference. During the Civil War, there were few ministers here; many
were with the army. For a time, Rev. Wamsley was about the only
ordained minister in this vicinity. He became widely known, and made
his prominence more marked by ever increasing his acquaintance. How-
ever, at this time, the Sabbath Schools were well maintained.
Previous to the Civil War, the Methodist Church, throughout the
country, differed in its ideas regarding slavery. This led to a division
in the church and the forming of the "South" Methodist Church. This
same question divided the church of Heyworth, and a "South" Meth-
odist Church was formed about 1870, which erected a building 32 ft.
by 46 ft., at the cost of $2,500. It was located about three blocks
north of the M. E. Church. It was organized by Rev. Smithson, and
belonged to the Pana District. Rev. Mr. Lawrence was the preacher
at the time of the dedication' of the church. Later, Wm. Howard was
Presiding Elder and officiated. A. Hocker and M. Crews also preached
here. This church broke up about 1883, because of lack of membership.
'History of McLean County, Illinois — Wm. LeBarou, Jr.— 1879.
Elder S. Stagner, who had performed efficient duties for the
Christian Church in this part of the county, held meetings here and
baptized about thirty members into the church. In 1870', the church
was formed. A building was erected the next year, at a cost of about
$2,000, being 34 ft. by 50 ft., in size. The building committee was com-
posed of John VanOrdstrand, Albert Nickerson, and John Short. The
church was dedicated in the fall of 1871, by Rev. Van Buskirk. Elder
Harry Vandervoort preached for one year. J. C. Campbell, S. Low,
and Jefferson Hodson also worked here. A Sabbath School was main-
The present church was dedicated by Rev. F. M. Reams on Sep-
tember 9, 1906. The number of charter members was about 30, in
1870. Now, the membership is made up of about 225 active members;
a substantial increase in 56 years.
In the first years of the church history of this vicinity, people of
different beliefs or creeds were all striving to establish their par-
ticular faith. The churches were scattered over the countryside, being
usually situated in' neighborhoods whose inhabitants attended those
particular churches. The churches were mostly arranged in circuits
Now, all these ideas of competition and grudgery have disappeared,
or if not, they are passing out swiftly. Brotherliness is a character-
istic enjoyed by the citizens, and by the members of the churches of
Heyworth. Few towns over the country have peaceful conditions ex-
isting between the churches. Heyworth is rather pleased with the fact
that such an atmosphere hovers over the town. Now, if the country
people attend church at all, they go to the town or city; the country
church is almost a thing of the past (with a few exceptions). Now,
almost every church has a minister, thus eliminating the circuits.
After all, the churches of Heyworth have had a rather clear record
and have cooperated peacefully through all the years of their existance.
They have progressed satisfactorily and have survived honorably thus
When people make a new settlement in a new land, news of any
kind is usually sought and cherished by all those in the camp. As the
settlement grows, an agency is provided by which the news and happen-
ings are broadcast among its citizens. As industry and business grows,
advertising becomes necessary as an aid for the continuance of this
Such a condition existed in and around Heyworth in its days of
infancy; a printing establishment was badly needed. It was not until
January 21, 1882, that the first Heyworth paper went to press. (A
copy of the first edition lies secluded in the cornerstone of the present
M. E. Church.) The name of this paper was The Weekly Standard.
It was in circulation during the period between the above date and
January, 1889. D. A. Creed was proprietor and Hugh Robb was edi-
tor. The mechanical work was done in Bloomington.
The following are some items contained in the first edition of the
Standard, dated January 21, 1882, as quoted from the Heyworth Nat-
ural Gas in the edition of January 24, 1908;
"There has not been a single theatrical troupe in Heyworth this
season. (The same can be said of Heyworth now.)
"Ferry YanA'aley and Will Clanahan have bought Ezra Claflin's
"George Newall warns the boys to keep away from Clay Hill or he
will lay for them.
"James Butterworth, of Wapella, welcomed the appearance of an
eleven pound boy this week.
"R. W. Orr, G. W. Marker and J. M. Liscom went to Clinton
Tuesday night to a Masonic lodge.
"It is confidently whispered that Marsh Kenton is soon to enter
the holy bonds of matrimony.
"We'll bet Heyworth contains more pretty girls than any other
village of its size in McLean County. (How about them now?)
"Oliver Rutledge smiles. He says his name is Alexander the
Great, and he weighs eight pounds.
"The section men are putting about twenty car loads of gravel in
the stock yards here, which is quite an improvement. (About the same
number of cars of gravel could now be used in the same place to a
"Mrs. Smilie Robertshaw, of Gibson City, who has been visiting
friends- here, returned to her home a few days ago.
"Charlie Lake says he won't be 'one of the boys' much longer.
Single life is evidently getting monotonous to him.
"U. S. Ellsworth, better known as 'Bud', of the firm of W. W.
Elder & Co., grocers, has bought out Mr. Elder's interest in the store.
"Scott Arnold, of Bloo'r.ington, is putting up a room near the
harness shop for agricultural implements. John Washburn is his agent
for this place.
"Dr. Parke, of Bloomington, was here Thursday to consult Dr.
McFarland in case of Mrs. D. Houghman, of Lytleville, who has a
cancer on her face.
"John H. Swearingen, who lived three miles south of here, died
last Monday noon and was buried in Sugar Grove cemetery. Mr.
Swearingen was one of the old settlers 1 of Long Point.
"A few days ago a stock dealer from the southern part of the state
visited our town. He put up at the hotel and made some inquiries
about his friend, O. C. Rutledge, (who by the way is our supervisor.)
The landlord sent his son to tell Mr. Rutledge that there was a man at
the hotel who wished to see him. Mr. Rutledge supposed it was some
poor fellow who needed some help, and sent word back to give him
something to eat and the policeman would furnish him a place to sleep.
The gentleman not needing the proffered help, called on Mr. Rutledge
himself, when, of course, apologies were in order and they had a good
laugh over it."
In an issue of Saturday, September 30, 1882, appeared the follow-
ing Heyworth Church Directory:
M. E. Church. South — Preaching every alternate Sabbath at 11
A. M. and 7:45 P. M. Sabbath School at 3 P. M., followed immediately
by class meeting. Prayer meeting every Thursday night at 7:45.
Presbyterian Church — Services at 11 A. M. and 7:30 P. M. Sab-
bath School at 9:30 A. M.
W. F. Gibson, Pastor.
Christian Church — 'Preaching on the Second and Fourth Sabbath
of each month at 11 A. M. and 7 P. M.
G. W. Minier, Pastor.
M. E. Church — Services every alternate Sabbath at 11 A. M., and
every Sabbath at 7:30. Sabbath School every Sabbath at 9:20 A. M.
James C. Keller, Pastor.
The following is the lodge directory of that time:
I. O. G. T. — Meets in Masonic Hall on Tuesday evening of each
week. Mrs. A. E. VanOrdstrand, W. C. T. Mattie Nickerson, W. S.
I. O. O. F. No. 483 — Meets every Friday evening. Geo. Uhrich,
N. G. Jno T. Shannon, Sec.
A. F. and A. M., No. 251 — Meets 1st, and 3rd Saturdays of each
month. J. M. Liscom, W. M., Jno. T. Shannon, Sec.
In the same edition of September 30, 1882, also appeared the fol-
ILLINOIS CENTRAL R. R.
Trains Pass Heyworth
Passenger, No. 2 7:32 a.m.
Passenger, No. 4 5:47 p.m.
Freight, No. 8 7:05 a.m.
Freight, No. 12 , 1:42 p.m.
Passenger, No. 1 3:37 p.m.
Passenger, No. 3 8:26 a.m.
Freight, No. 11 6:08 a.m.
Freight, No. 13 6:25 p. m.
J. M. Liscom, Agent.
In a standard of Saturday, November 18, 1882, an item stated that
the telegraph wire was put up through Heyworth on Monday, but the
instruments had not yet been' installed.
The second paper was the Heyworth Reporter, and was published
between the years of 1892 and 1898. Frank Stackhouse was proprietor
and J. A. Laswell was editor. The following article was taken from
a copy of the Heyworth Reporter dated Saturday, October 29, 1892:
HEYWORTH LODGE, No. 251, A. F. & A. M. meets Masonic
hall, regular meeting on or before full moon of each month. R. G.
Lock, W. M. H. A. Karr, Sec'y.
WILLIAM McCOLLOGH CAMT, No. 230, S. V. meets in
Chandler's Hall. Regular meetings 2nd and 4th Friday nights of each
month. Hugh Stewart, Com. E. H. McFarland, Adjt.
HEYWORTH LODGE, No. 483, I. O. p. F. meets in Odd Fel-
lows Hall. Regular meetings on Friday evening of each week. Wm.
Plumly, N. G. G. A. Hull, Sec'y.
KICKAPOO CAMP, Modern Woodman of America, meets in
Masonic hall on 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month. G. A. Hull, V. C.
C. W. McComb, clerk.
ROBERT T. HARVEY POST, No. 606, G. A. R., meets in
Chandler's Hall. Regular meetings second and fourth Tuesday nights
of each month. A Hull, Com. John T. Shannon, Adjt.
LADIES' AID SOCIETY, auxiliary to G. A. R., meets on first
and third Tuesdays of each month, at Chandler Hall. Mary Martin,
Pres. Ela Austin, Sec'y.
RURAL LODGE, No. 101, D. of R. Meets in I. O. O. F. Hall
first and third Thursday nights of each month. Jennie Hull, N. G.
Mary Uhrich, Sec.
The third paper was the "Heyworth Natural Gas." It was the suc-
cessor to the "Reporter," and J. A. Laswell was both proprietor and
Later, S. M. Drum was editor and proprietor. He was succeeded
by A. O. McDowell, who continued as proprietor and editor until 1923,
when P. A. Chapman took possession. He altered the name of the
paper, from that of the Natural Gas, to the Heyworth Star. In the
fall of 1925, Mr. Chapman sold out to Frank Woolley, who continues
to serve the public at the present time. A new Linotype was installed
in December 1915, to enable the firm to better serve its subscribers.
After all these years, numbering forty-five, the Heyworth paper
still is enjoyed and scanned from top to bottom each week, by the
local citizens as well as by many who live away from here. The vil-
lage was incorporated fifty-seven years ago, and the paper has been in
circulation the greater part of that time. It has been a valuable medium
in keeping people who have resided here, in touch with the home town.
The town would be incomplete without its printing establishment.
The Masonic Lodge— No. 251, was chartered in 1856, with six
The Odd Fellows— No. 483, was formed in 1872, with five members.
The Good Templars was instituted on December 21, 1874, with
The Encampment — No. 168, was formed in 1875, with eight mem-
The Knights of Pythias— No. 442, was organized on July 10, 1895.
An associate branch of this order was also formed here. It was known
as the Bertoni Company ot the Illinois Brigade of the Uniform Rank
The Modern Woodmen of America — No. 818, was organized in 1889.
The Court of Honor — No 176, was organized on September 22,
1896, with one hundred seventy-six members.
The Robert T. Harvey Post, G. A. R.— No. 606, was organized
The William McCollogh Camp— No. 230, S. V., was organized
The Carl E. Miller Post, American Legion, was organized on
March 28, 1921, with thirty-eight members.
The Good Templars, the Encampment, the G. A. R. Post, and the
Sons of Veterans have disbanded some years since. Some of these
orders have united with the same organizations in other near-by towns.
Most of these orders have, or have had, associate orders for women.
The Woman's Club was organized in January, 1906.
Y. T. C. S. — Ye Twentieth Century Spinsters — was organized in
S. K. C. — Skidoo Kids Club — was organized in" 1907.
The Modern Priscilla Club was organized in 1909.
The Mystic Circle was organized 1912.
The Happy Hour Club was organized in 1918.
There have also been many church societies in Hey worth; some
of these continue to have meetings at the present time.
The Heyworth Shooting Club was organized in 1885.
The Boosters Club was organized in 1917.
UNUSUAL FIRES, STORMS, ETC.
In the history of Heyworth, certain natural agents have made
their infrequent appearance, to seemingly destroy the few accomplish-
ments toward which the citizens have struggled and tirelessly labored
to perfect. This apprehension is not true in all senses of the idea. The
destruction of the old attainments, means a revival and rebirth toward
the new; thus making progress the immediate result.
Such has been the case in the growth of Heyworth. Her growth
has seemingly been marred several times by fire; always having mostly
recovered and been built up again. Her main street is now lined with
good substantial business buildings; most all being fireproof structures.
Together with fires and storms, other phenomena have made their
appearance here. Of course these were not confined to this particular
On October 23, 1S9S, the elevator on Main Street, where the
Hasenwinkle Elevator now stands, was destroyed by fire. The flames
crossed the street and set fire to the lumber yard. The fire moved
westward and destroyed all the buildings in the block. If it had not
been for J. L. Pumphrey's quick thought to fan out a small blaze, with
his hat, on the roof of the building across the street, west, the entire
southwest part of town might have been destroyed. A bucket brigade
was the only agency in' existence to combat flames.
On January 16, 1906, the entire business district on the north side
of Main Street and west of the I. C. tracks, was destroyed by fire.
The erection of new buildings was started at once, when new plans
October 28, 1906, saw a great fire across the street from that of
January 16, of the same year. The Raymond Opera burned (where
the Community Hall is now located), together with the three-story
Edgar Hotel, which was of brick construction, and several other busi-
ness houses. Among those burned out were: F. H. Hill — drug store,
W. H. Bell— grocery, Charles Ream— flour, meal, etc., J. D. Greenlee—
hardware and implements, and Charles Schoeffel — meat market. The
total loss of the entire fire was in the neighborhood of $34,000. The fire
stopped at the Battershell building.
In January, 1913, another fire occurred on this corner. E. S. Wash-
burn had a grocery store on the ground floor, and the apartments
above were occupied as dwellings by Dr. and Mrs. Bard Wakefield
and Dr. and Mrs. F. W. Day. Dr. Day had his dentistry establish-
ment on the second floor also.
This particular corner had been the scene of fires back in the
earlier days of the town.
A regular fire department was organized when the fire truck was
purchased by the town in 1919. L. T. Rutledge was appointed Chief,
and other assistants were appointed.
The present members of the fire squad are as follows: Fred Ewert,
J. A. VanNess, Russel Yanney, and John Perry. Of course other help
will be pressed into service when needed.
On Monday, March 27, 1876, a large snow fell. All the yard fences
were covered and the snow was badly drifted. It was approximately
four feet deep. It commenced falling on Monday evening and continued
to do so until Wednesday morning. The snow lasted for three weeks.
At the end of that time, the farmers were able to sow oats, but they
could not get near the hedges on account of the drifts.
On February 1, 1883, came the largest sleet storm on record. The
timber lands were almost ruined. They never totally recovered from
their devastation up to the time of the last heavy sleet, in 1924. The
sleet which came on December 17, 1924, was next greatest, and was
also very destructive because of new and modern improvements-, which
were not here in 1883.
On the afternoon of Decoration Day, 1900, a mighty flood swept
down Kickapoo. It came as the result of a severe cloud-burst. All
the low lands along the river were covered, and the water was not far
distant from Heyworth. Since that time, the river has been known to
get out of its banks many times. It was a menace to the new hard
road bridge after it was first completed; a flood having come and
threatened its destruction.
In the year of 1869, on August 7, there occurred a phenomenon,
which was especially rare for this section of the globe. It was a total
eclipse of the sun. About 4:00 P. M. on that day, darkness began to
appear. All nature seemed to be in one accord; the birds were singing,
and the chickens were seeking their roosts as the untimely arrival of
It was a rather peculiar circumstance. The eclipse was total for
several minutes, during which time darkness reigned. Seven minutes
and forty seconds is the longest possible time an eclipse can be total.
This eclipse certainly lasted that length of time, according to reports
which have been made by some of the observers.
A discussion of local robberies is a seemingly dispensable subject,
but a few facts concerning them is no doubt of interest to everyone.
No early record of such events is available.
In 1912, the postoffice was robbed.
The Heyworth State Bank has also had a few touches along this
line. In the fall of 1924, it was robbed by bandits who escaped in an
automobile. They were later caught in connection with bank rob-
beries in other central Illinois towns. In the spring of 1925, bandits
drove into the town one night, took possession of it, cut off all com-
munication with other neighboring towns, and blew the safe of this
same bank. Some of the bandits were later identified by the night
watchman, whom they had overpowered.
On February 26, 1921, a notorious happening occurred when Willie
Dalton came to town and was peacefully caught by the village Con-
stable, Jack Draper. Willie had in his possession $772,000 in bonds,
with which he had walked away from the Northern Trust Company in
Chicago, where he was employed as a bank messenger. This incident
was known to arouse much discussion over the entire country; prob-
ably more than in Heyworth itself.
All the large newspapers were flooded with news- about the case.
The Chicago American stated that the capture of Dalton was due to
its having a picture of him in their paper, first; that, also being the
first news of the robbery printed by any paper. The amount stolen,
set the country on the alert for Willie.
A Kansas .City paper set forth its opinion on the capture of Dalton,
and even went so far as to express the possibilities of a rich future for
some of our citizens who were connected in any way with the capture
and the reward.
Industries always develop in a settlement, soon after it is made.
It is necessary that industries should thrive in order to provide for the
up-keep of the camp. Heyworth was rather fortunate in her youth.
There were several grist mills on Kickapoo near Heyworth. The
first large mill was put up in Heyworth in 1857, by Coursin & Wilson.
It was situated west of the railroad and south of Main Street, near the
place where the lumber yard is now located. Some time later, the
engine exploded and killed the engineer. The mill burned in 1860. Alex
Wilson came to Heyworth in 1857, and built the first good dwelling
house in town, at a cost of about $3,000. It was located near the present
site of the J. P. Shelton home. Wilson died in 1862, and Major McFar-
land later bought the home. Upon the same block, for a long time
stood the pioneer residence of Capt. George Martin. The cabin was
removed by McFarland, after he had purchased the lot upon which the
cabin had stood for thirty years. Capt. Martin was the oldest inhabitant
of the town.
In 1868, Dice, Hall & Company built a two story, three-run mill
at a cost of about $1,800. It stood just east of the railroad and three
blocks north of Main Street. In 1869, McF'arland bought out Hall's
interest, and the mill was sold a few years afterward to Ellsworth &
Mayers. This mill later burned; George Freeman owned it at that time.
When in operation, the mills kept busy turning out flour, meal, etc.
In the summer of 1855, O. C. Rutledge bought grain for E. Birney,
of Leroy. This was the first business of the kind in Heyworth, as
has been mentioned before. In the spring of 1856, the firm of Elder &
Rutledge was formed. It continued business until April 1, 1858, when
it joined with I. VanOrdstrand, and was then known as I. VanOrd-
strand & Co. During the following summer, Rutledge withdrew from
the firm, was married, and lived for two years on a farm in Downs
Township. Then he returned to Heyworth and engaged in the general
mercantile business with J. C. McFarland. The firm name was McFar-
land & Rutledge. They continued in partnership till 1865; McFarland
was in the army three years of this time, when Rutledge sold out his
interest and again bought an interest in the firm of I. VanOrdstrand &
Co. In 1872, Elder withdrew from the firm. O. C. Rutledge was the
oldest resident of Randolph Township at the time of his death.
I. VanOrdstrand was a very energetic man in the community, being
deeply interested in educational matters and in the politics of the town'
and county. The above named firm of I. VanOrdstrand & Co. carried
on an extensive business which embraced grain, lumber and all the line
of articles 1 usually going with it — exchange, banking, real estate, loan
and conveyancing, commission, livestock, etc., and almost anything else
that the public wished them to undertake.
Much of the grain was brought in from the east. Trade came from
the farmers as far distant as LeRoy and Farmers' City, there being no
railroad in that direction nearer than the Chicago branch of the Illi-
VanOrdstrand was in business in this locality before Heyworth
was thought of. In the first part of the year 1846, he formed a partner-
ship with H. J. Short and J. W. Low, the firm name being, Short,
VanOrdstrand & Low. They were located at Short Point, southwest of
the present village of Heyworth. The following April, Short withdrew
from the firm, and the firm name became VanOrdstrand & Low. These
men moved to Independence, and continued in business until February,
1848. At this time, VanOrdstrand bought out Low, and continued inde-
pendently until 1850, when his brother, John, took an interest with
him; the firm name became I. & J. VanOrdstrand.
In 1856 they sold out to J. C. Frisbee, who moved the business
to the prospective town (near Spaid's crossing). The following winter
this place of business was burned. This almost ruined the new town.
In 1857, VanOrdstrand bought out J. S. & G. T. Barber, and on April
8, 1858, he consolidated with Elder & Rutledge, as above discussed.
William H. Wilson & Company was the first to start mercantile
business here, in 1856. The firm name was soon changed to Coursin &
Wilson, and continued business for some time till it was sold to McFar-
land & Company. J. C. McFarland came here in 1857. _^He was one of
the leading men in business, religious activities, and other activities of
the town. For three years, he served his country in the Civil War, in
the Ninety-fourth Regiment as Captain, having organized Company B,
Illinois Volunteer Infantry on August 5, 1852. Pat Gorman, a grocer
on the west side at this time, was McFarland'g lieutenant. After re-
turning home, McFarland held several county offices.
His first business, before going to war, was that of keeping a gen-
eral store on the corner where S. A. Martin's drug store now stands.
In this building he also conducted the postoffice. The building burned
in 1860. Everything was consumed, including the mails.
McFarland then built a building across the street north from the
former store, and continued in trade for a year, when O. C. Rutledge
went into the firm and continued in business until McFarland returned
from the army, when Rutledge sold his interest to McFarland, who
soon sold to Short & Bayless.
In 1864, S. Hill & Son came from Ohio and engaged in trade,
In 1866, McFarland went into the firm, which did business as McFar-
land, Hill & Co. until 1869, when they sold to Brittenham, who moved
the goods to Monticello. Hill & Son brought on a new stock of goods
in 1870, which they soon sold to Wise & Co.
Short & Bayliss, about this time, sold their business to Jefferson
Moore. Wamsley & Co. opened a store in 1867, and continued in busi-
ness for ten years, when they sold to Short & Dillon, and they to Samuel
R. Nickerson. Plummer & Trowbridge commenced in 1874, and after
a year, Trowbridge sold out.
E. Witter had the first shoe shop.
G. M. Delano commenced harness-making in 1857. In 1861, Presi-
dent Lincoln appointed him Postmaster.
John Morsman commenced blacksmithing in 1856, but remained
only eighteen months. After him came Jacob Slagel who continued in
partnership with John Peters. George Uhrich came from Ohio in 1858,
and engaged in the blacksmithing trade the next year.
A. Millmine opened a boot and shoe stock in 1864; two years later,
N. Low bought him out.
A. F. Rogers, from LeRoy, put in a stock of drugs and medicines
in 1865, on the present site of the Schoeffel home. In 1809, he sold
out to A. Wise, who soon moved the stock away.
D. A. Abbott ran a drug store here for a few years, until in 1871,
he moved to Missouri. Soon after this, McFarland & Co. opened a drug
store and sold out in 1877, to W. D. Gilman, who was later burned out.
His place of business was located on the site of the Battershell building.
In 1874, a man by the name of Wallace opened a drug business, and
continued in this business until the time of his death, two years later.
J. P. Kinton commenced a grocery trade here in 1860; and his son-
in-law, J. B. Robertshaw, about the same time, commenced working
at his trade as carpenter and builder. The latter later engaged in the
furniture trade and undertaking, in a large building, which stood a block
east of the present site of Dr. F. L. Wakefield's office. This building
was also, at a later date, the home of the Heyworth State Bank.
John Kelley built a hotel in 1856, and a few 3-ears later, sold to John
Campbell. It was located a few lots north of the present site of the
Heyworth State Bank.
THE ANNUAL FAIR
In the seventies, the Heyworth Horse Fair and Colt Show orig-
inated in a dispute between between two neighbors as to who had the
best colt; but fairs were not held regularly until about 1890. The
management owned no property, the Wakefields having always donated
the use of their timber pasture. An amphitheater was erected in 1910.
At first, only horses and colts were exhibited, but later it included all
kinds of farm products, also a baby show. It was disbanded in 1923,
because of lack of funds and public interest. The buildings were razed
and sold at auction.
THE NATURAL GAS SYSTEM
In September, 1879, James C. Wakefield struck natural gas when
drilling for water on his farm three quarters of a mile south of town.
It was found at a depth of about two hundred fourteen feet, and had a
pressure of thirty pounds. He laid six miles of main and had four
wells. A little later, E. I. Gardner drilled a well across the road from
Wakefied's well, struck gas, and lessened the flow for Wakefield.
Wakefield charged $1.25 per month for a cook stove and $1.50 for a heat-
er, till competition reduced it to $1X0 per month all around.
About 1899, the Heyworth Natural Gas Company was organized
with a capital of $25,000. There were seven wells. Of these, four were
later in use. The company had about ten miles of pipe and supplied
one hundred twenty-five homes in Heyworth. J. P. Shelton was presi-
dent and C. C. Brown (east) was manager.
Temperature below zero and a strong northwest wind lessened the
flow. Water bothered more or less, until June, 1903, the wells practically
Heyworth, at different times or periods has been the possessor of
a large band. Regular concerts were given during the summer months.
There have been about four organizations since the town was founded.
The first one was started about 1878. It disbanded, and in a few years,
another was formed. Thus the lives of the bands have passed along.
An attempt is now being made to organize a new band.
BUSINESS HOUSES FROM ABOUT 1870-1926
The author has devoted much time in an endeavor to make the
following table as accurate and complete as possible, although some
errors may be present. However, it is intended that such may not
appear. The date given is only the approximate date that the opposite
named firm was started. It is almost impossible to find the exact dates.
Auctioneers — George S. Johnson, 1904; I. A. Fullenwider, 1906;
E. J. Oelze, 1913.
Bakeries — Charles B. Marker, west side, 1892; Milt Bishop, west
side, 1907; Mr. Parish, east side, 1909; E. R. King, east side, 1913.
Blacksmiths and Wagon Makers — Slagel & Peters, west side, 1879;
A. Kelley, east side, 1879; J. B. Riser, 1905; S. H. Houk, west side, 1907;
Uhrich & Houk, west side, 1908; O. L. Weaver, west side, 1911; L. L.
Burchett, east side, 1912; Thomas Gray, east side, 1916; Charles Swear-
ingen, west side; N. W. Slagel, west side.
Boots and Shoes — 'Nathan Low, east side, 1870; Nickerson & Swear-
ingen, west side, 1SS2; J. G. Chadderan, 1882; J. L. Swearingen, 1883;
F. H. Hill, 1884; A. W. Rogers, west side, 1884; S. Nickerson & Co.,
west side, 1SS4; H. Austin, 1899; S. S. Middleton, east side, 1902; F. A.
Ball & Co., east side, 1902; F. C. Catterlin, west side, 1907; A. L.
Graupman, cast side, 1920.
Butcher Shops— Rutledge & Cunningham, west side, 1879; W. Cun-
ningham, west side, 1888; Charles Marker, west side, 1892; Ted Iseman,
east side, 1894; Charles Schoeffel, east side, 1898; Schoeffel & Smith,
east side, 1899; Charles Schoeffel, west side, 1906; Smith Bros., east side,
1899; Clark Bros., east side, 1899; Edwin Clark, east side, 1912; W. H.
Bell, east side, 1917.
Carpenters — Hooten & Stephenson, James Robertshaw, Joseph
Phinney, John Coveny, Wood Potts, James Tucker, George Stevenson,
Joseph Buchanan, Jack Gibbons, William Lutz, John Sargent, Charles
Lake, Alfred Ducker, Harry Prosser, Alex Jensen, E. O. Washburn,
Frank Yocum, Richard Short, Adelbert McHugh.
Concrete Contractors and Brick Masons — John Givens, 1910; J. A.
VanValey; L. B. Allen, 1910; Allen & Casey; William Reed, 1917; M.
E. Adams, 1918; E. F. Wright, 1924; M. W. Wamsley; Richard Short.
Doctors (Physicians and Surgeons) — Harrison Noble, 1850; R. G.
Laughlin, 1870; Dr. Lindlcy, 1872; D. H. McFarland, 1851; William L.
Pollock; H. J. Birney, 1885; F. L. Wakefield, 1S90; Frank Turner, 1893;
Bard Wakefield, 1908.
Dentists— Horace Austin, 1875; F. W. Day, 1904; G. G. Garrison,
1913; Dr. Gue, 1915; C. L. Staplcton.
Osteopaths— Warren E. Atkins, 1913; I. A. Cruickshank, 1922.
Veterinarians — Dr. Croxcn, west side, 1910; L. H. Morin, west side,
1910; E. T. Gambrel, west side, 1913; George H. Hunt, west side, 1917;
L. W. Swindlehurst, east side, 1921.
Drug Stores— Will D. Gilman, east side, 1879; F. H. Hill, east side,
1879; J. P. Shelton, east side, 1884; Hugh Robb, west side, 1892; S. A.
Martin, east side, 1912; Lanier Robb, west side, 1912.
Dry Goods and Clothing — E. D. Plummer, east side, 1879; Nicker-
son & Swearingen, west side, 1882; A. W. Rogers, east side, 1884; S.
Nickerson & Co., east side, 1884; H. D. Cogswell & Co., 1888; S. S.
Middleton, east side, 1902; A. W. Huffman, east side, 1904; Middleton
& Catterlin, west side, 1905; C. E. Kocher, 1905; F. C. Catterlin, west
side, 1907; J. R. Andes, west side, 1911; C. F. Ball, east side, 1919; J. O.
Bell, east side, 1924.
Factories (Cigar) — Bert Kitchell, west side; Mr. Anderson, west
side, 1896; Charles B. Marker, west side, 1896.
(Hay Press) — William Philbrook, west side, 1866.
(Brick Factory)— East side, 1898.
Flour, Meal, Feed, etc.— McFarland & Dice, 1870; Charles Ream,
west side, 1907; F. L. Ewert & Son, west side, 1924; E. S. Washburn,
east side, 1902.
Furniture Stores — J. B. Robertshaw, east side, 18179; Scott Broth-
ers, 1899; C. K. Robertshaw, east side, 1892; T. W. Iseminger east side,
1902; J. D. Greenlee, east side, 1909.
Garages — Claflin Bros., west side, 1905; O. L. Weaver, west side,
1911; L. A. Walker, west side, 1913; R. E. Bishop, west side, 1915| F.
L. Ewert, west side, 1918; N. E. Givens, west side, 1919; Ewert & Zim-
merlin, west side, 1921; L. B. Allen, west side, 1921.
General Merchants— J. P. Kenton & Son, east side, 1870; J. Wash-
burn, 1870; Rutledge & Battershell, east side, 1879; W. W. Elder & Co.,
west side, 1879; S. Nickerson, west side, 1879; A. F. Rogers & Co., west
side, 1879; T. F. Gardenhire, west side, 1882; W. S. Ellsworth, west
side, 1882; Ross & Labar, 1882; J. B. Rutledge, east side, 1882; String-
field & Co. west side 1884; J. L. Davis, west side, 1886, G. H. String-
field, west side, 1888; J. J. Hancock, west side, 1888; McComb & John-
son, west side, 188S; O. M. Ross, east side, 1888; J. B. Robertshaw, east
side, 1888; Stockdale, & Jeters, west side, 1893; Grant Bishop, east side,
1892; Thery & Harvey, west side, 1892; J. E. Smith, east side, 1899; A.
W. Huffman, east side, 1902; F. A. Ball, east side 1902; E. S. Washburn,
east side, 1902; G. G. Covey, east side, 1904; Washburn & Powell, east
side, 1904; L. T. Rutledge, east side, 1905; Middleton & Catterlin, west
side, 1906; S. S. Middleton, east side, 1907; Andes & Stockdale, west
side, 1913; F. C. Catterlin. west side, 1914; J. C. Stockdale & Son,
west side, 1915; J. A. Benton, west side, 1915; J. H. Stewart, west side,
1917; W. H. Bell & Son, east side, 1917.
Grain and Coal — Isaac Yanordstrand & Co., west side, 1870'; J. L.
Pumphrey, west side, 1896; Brining Bros., west side, 1896; Hazenwinkle
Grain Co., west side; C. H. Russum, west side, 1S92; A. H. Hill Lumber
Co., west side, 1902; Charles Ream, east side, 1907; Alexander Lumber
Co., west side, 1912; Allen & Casey, west side, 1913; Harrison-Ward
Grain Co. east side, burned, August 6, 1919; Farmers Grain Co., west
side, 1921; Hollis & Pierson, west side, 1921.
Hardware & Implement— J. H. C. Dill, east side, 1870; S. Mann,
1879; Brown & Stockdale, east side, 1882; S. D. Mitchell, 1884; G. H.
Stringfield, 1888; McFarland & Son, 188S; Brown & Greenlee, 1889;
John W. Bishop, 1899; J. D. Greenlee, east side, 1902; J. L. McComb &
Sons, 1902; McComb Brothers, 1904; W. H. McComb, west side; R. C.
Mayland, east side, 1916; O. E. Ayers, east side, 1917; H. Zimmerlin,
west side, 1921; R. H. Wiseman, west side, 1923.
Harness Shops— William Shannon, 1870; J. C. Short, 1882; Shannon
& Zoll, west side, 1885; Shannon & Fullenwider, west side, 1892; John
W. Bishop, 1899; Joel Williams, east side, 1899; Williams & Graupman,
east side, 1904; A. L. Graupman, east side, 1919.
Hotels— Isaiah Chandler, east side, 1870; D. Campbell, east side,
1879; Hotel Edgar (Mrs. Ella Farley), east side, 1892; Jack Gibbons,
east side; Raymond Hotel, east side, 1905; Lafferty Hotel, west side,
Jewelers— N. J. Battershell, east side, 1877; Morris Mathus, west
side, 1912; Squire Thery, west side, 1913; Sidney Stocking, west side,
Law— O. R. Middleton, 1912.
Livery Service— B. F. Nickerson, west side, 1885; Robert Van Horn,
east side; G. A. Nickerson, west side, 1909; Claflin Bros., west side.
1906; William Gladden, west side, 1910; C. M. Borders, west side,
1912; J. C. & R. O. Daniels, west side, 1915; Van Horn Bros, west side,
Lumber Yards— Wakefield & Greenlee, west side; Washburn, Robb
& West (saw mill), west side, 1877; Greenlee Bros., west side, 1898;
A. H. Hill Lumber Company, west side, 1902; Alexander Lumber Com-
pany, west side, 19C6.
Millinery— Miss Martin, 1879; Mrs. Shannon, 1879; Miss Buck,
1879; Mrs. E. J. Bronaugh, 1884; Mrs. M. E. Tanner, 1885; Miss Etta
Moore, east side, 1889; Mrs. N. M. Vandervoort, 1892; Mrs. L. T. Rut-
ledge, east side. 1905, Mrs. Bertha Rogers, west side, 1909; Willis &
Ball, east side, 1919.
Picture Galleries — McCoy, west side; Bert Kitchell, west side, 1893;
Waggoner, west side, 1898; Lee Summers, west side, 1900.
Painters and Paper Hangers — Jacob Marker, Jacob Bentley, John
S. Noble, R. G. Brown, O. G. Hayes, J. D. Van Valey, Donald Cruick-
shank, J. E. Burwcll, Ilarlin Shinn, Bruce Shannon, Fred Ewing,
Filey VanValey, Harry Moffett A. D. Liscom.
Real Estate and Insurance — M. A. Gifford, Logan Perry, J. S. Albin,
J. P. Shelton, C. H. Russum, L. T. Rutledge, C. C. Brown (west), A. C.
Lake, O. R. Nickerson.
Restaurants and Lunch Rooms — William Lafferty, east side, 1880;
Guilbert Wright, east side, 1881; E. E. Phinney, east side, 189(3; A. S.
VanValey, west side, 1885; J. L. Davis, west side, 1886; Horace Clark,
west side, 1891; Charles Mraker, west side, 1892; Morrisy Britain, west
side, 1896; Elmer Washburn, east side, 1898; J. C. Halsey, west side,
1899; J. R. Washburn, west side, 1906; Cowden Bros., west side, 1905;
Louis Walker, west side, 1905; Claflin Bros., west side, 1906; Lester
Fitchorn, west side, 1906; Milt Bishop, west side, 1907; Earl Brooker,
west side, 1909; Earl Miller, west side, 1910; J. H. Humes, west side,
1910; Fred Leasure, east side, 1910; Edward Delano, east side, 1911;
G. H. Turner, east side, 1913; Lewis Bishop, east side, 1916; Robert
Whitney, east side, 1915; C. E. Andrews, east side, 1917; B. C. Maze,
east side, 1919; J. G. Stevens, east side, 1921; Donald Cruickshank,
east side, 1924; Rex Edwards, east side, 1925, O. L. Jones, east side,
Shoe Repairmen — J. G. Chadderan, 1882; E. E. Phinney, west side,
1885; Gilbert Wright, east side, 1892; G. A. Maris, west side, 1913; A. L.
Graupman, east side, 1922.
Stock Buyers— J. M. Liscom, 1885; C. A. Craig & Sons, 1885; Zim-
merlin & Riddle, 1911; Freeman & Zimmerlin, 1912; Heyworth Shipping
Tailor— D. D. Dunseth, 1879.
Tonsorial Parlors — Benny, west side, 1876; Victor James (colored),
west side, 1886; William Hill (colored), west side, 1887; Fred Resting,
west side, 1889; Robert Lake, west side, 1892; Charley Farley, west side,
1892; John Craig, west side, 1905; Kocher Bros. (Ed. and Ted), east
side, 1903; Mr. and Mrs. Green, east side, 1910; J. C. Dodds, west side,
1915; P. T. Brannan, east side, 1916; Charley Clark, east side, 1923;
George Ruble, east side, 1923; Fred Ensminger, west side, 1925.
Undertakers — J. B. Robertshaw, east side, 1879; C. K. Robertshaw,
east side, 1892; Scott Brothers, 1899; T. W. Iseminger, east side, 1902.
Variety Stores— I. A. Fullenwider, 1907; C. S. Ells, east side, 1917.
HEYWORTH IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY
The automobile made it first appearance in Heyworth in the early
days of the Twentieth Century. The first automobile in Heyworth was
an "Olds", and was owned by J. P. Shelton. This car was gasoline
driven. It was purchased in about the year of 1902. It resembled a
horseless buggy, and was a terror to persons having horse-drawn vehi-
W. A. Bailey moved here in 1907, and brought a "Locomobile"
steamer with him.
N. YV. Slagel soon afterward purchased a car of the same make.
Under the Sixty-million-dollar Bond Issue of 1922, the hard road
was constructed through Heyworth. The first step taken was the ap-
pointment of a commission, which appraised the land to be used for the
road. A special election was then held; the purpose being to vote bonds
for the obtaining of the right-of-way. The bonds were issued and sold
to the Heyworth State Bank, the amount being $6,500. Damages turned
in by the people along the new road ranged from $25 to $1,000, in
amount. The road between Heyworth and Bloomington was open for
travel in the fall of 1924. As yet, the road is not completed all the
way between Heyworth and Clinton, a gap being left between Wapella
and Clinton. This is better known as "the Clinton Gap." This particular
strip of land has been the subject of dispute for a considerable length
of time. This gap affords much displeasure for tourists going by this
There has, of late, been a proposal for the construction of another
hard road through Heyworth. If the plan carries, the road will run
between Leroy, through Heyworth, and thence to McLean.
On Thanksgiving Day, 1920, the first train passed over the new
double track from Heyworth to Clinton, this being the northern end of
the I. C. yards with headquarters at Clinton.
Light and Power
In the early years of the present century, the Heyworth Electric
Light Company was founded in Heyworth. The plant was located here
and was owned by the town. Lynn Pumphrey was the manager.
Only night service was rendered, and then, only for lighting purposes.
At a later time, Charles Crump took the position as manager, and con-
tinued in this capacity for some time. He sold out in 1907 to G. W.
Powell, who continues in the business. The current was furnished by
the local plant, until soon after the construction of the interurban line
through here; then the stronger current of the I. T. S. was used.
In the latter part of the nineties, the Heyworth telephone system
was formed. This was one of the most beneficial steps made toward
modernizing the communication facilities of the vicinit}'. The long
distances were shortened immensely. Dr. F. L. Wakefield was respon-
sible for the new project. Realizing its welcome adoption by the farm-
ers living a considerable distance from town, and also its necessity, he
engaged J. A. VanNess and other helpers to construct the new line.
It was built straight east of the village, branching off at points several
miles from town. One branch went to the Walter Nichols home, about
five miles east and one mile north; the other went to South Downs, six
miles east and one mile south of Heyworth. There were only three
phones on the line, and those were at the two above named points and
at Arthur Johnson's home, about four miles east of town. Signs were
put out, advertising these phone stations as being accessible to the
public in times of emergency. The exchange was located in Dr. Wake-
field's office. Later, he sold the business to Henry Fitchorn. The Hey-
worth Telephone Exchange was granted a franchise on April 4, 1904.
A Farmers' Telephone Line had also been built west and south of
town at an earlier date. The exchange was located in the Robb Drug
Store. The company was granted a franchise by the village board in
June, 1905. This line has been dispensed with in the last few years,
and is superseded by the Baker Telephone System which is now known
as the Corn Belt Telephone System. This new firm name was adopted
in the fall of 1925. This system includes the systems of the surrounding
towns of McLean, Atlanta, Armington, Leroy, and Bellflower.
As far back as 1882, Heyworth had telephone connections with
Bloomington, Wapella, and Clinton.
The Miller Hatchery is a comparatively young institution, but it
has steadily grown thus far. It has been in operation for several years,
increasing in capacity each year. This year's capacity makes it the
second largest in the world, being 376,000 eggs per setting. Total for
season, 1,880,000. This will bring off 11,000 chicks per day. Three
hundred twenty cases of eggs per week are required to make a full
setting. Such an industry in our vicinity serves as a useful market for
the farmers having purebred chickens, to dispose of the eggs at prices
above market price.
The work of the Purkey Seed Company started in 1923. It occupied
the rooms on the second floor of the Greenlee building. The testing
capacity was about twenty-five bushels per day. Later on, a commodi-
ous building was erected in the southwest part of town, the cost being
approximately $20,000. In December, 1925, work was begun in the
new home. The testing capacity is fifty bushels per day. The storage
capacity is ten thousand bushels. Eight men are employed regularly in
the testing season. Farmers are finding this new business to be a useful
concern in the selection of seed of various kinds, and in having it
tested for disease, strength, and purity.
The greater number of buildings located on Main Street at the
present time, were erected since 1900.
One noticeable structure is the Community Hall which was erected
in 1914. Numerous other buildings, as has just been mentioned, to-
gether with the hall, make ours a town of practically all substantial
Some of the older residents of this tiny world of the Heyworth,
situated on the face of the "big world," say that the true world is getting
worse. This view of the times may be partly correct; however, the world
may also be viewed from other more prominent angles.
Some of these views are commnly little pondered over or thought
about by the average citizen, because of their everyday appearance and
commonness in our daily life. In this class, such factors as the automo-
bile, hard road, radio, air mail service, and new community schools,
may be placed.
In the earlier days of the older citizens, a trip to Bloomington
required about two hours, either going or coming. Now it is quite the
opposite; by the convenience of the automobile and hard road, or the
interurban, the journey is reduced to a brief jaunt of thirty minutes
pleasant duration. Even the radio and air mail service render life more
pleasant by their seeming shortening of distance. They bring "every-
where" right to our door.
The new community high schools are meccas for large bodies of
knowledge-seekers, striving to quench their thirst at the fountain of
Education. These finely equipped buildings were preceded by struc-
tures not having such inviting and thorough courses.
Times are no worse than they ever were, and our forefathers fail
to realize that a steady movement forward is necessary to build up such
a center as Heyworth.
If progress is made in the future in the same ratio as in the past
quarter of a century, Heyworth has a vast opportunity for expansion
and growth. City people are seeking homes in more quiet surroundings
in small towns. The desire is that of getting out into the open. Hey-
worth has the advantage of this freedom of life. Its future is open.
Warner & Beers, Chicago — 1874, "Atlas of McLean County and
the State of Illinois."
Duis, Dr. E., Bloomington — 1874, "Good Old Times in McLean
LeBaron, Jr., William, and Company, Chicago — 1879, "History of
McLean County, Illinois."
Chapman Bros., Chicago — Copyrighted, 1885, "McLean County,
Illinois, Portrait and Biographical Album."
"Transactions of the McLean County Historical Society — and —
School Record of McLean County with other Papers," Bloomington',
Illinois. Vol. 11—1903, pages 100-193.
Munsell Publishing Company, Chicago, Vol. I and II — 1908, "His-
torical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McLean County."
Hasbrouck, Jacob L., Indianapolis-Topeka — 1924, Vol. I. "History
of McLean County, Illinois."
Early newspapers: The Weekly Standard, The Hey worth Reporter,
and The Heyworth Natural Gas.
Personal interviews with elderly citizens.
THE ALUMNI AND TEACHERS OF THE HEYWORTH
Class of 1878
Members — Delia McCorkle, George D. Chadderan (deceased), Jodie
Dill (deceased), Lyon Karr, Orvil J. Rodgers.
Teachers— A. M. Scott, T. H. Zimmer (1879).
Class of 1880
Members— Jennie Cresswell (deceased), Anna M. Logan (Mrs.
Anna Longworth), Mary J. Peairs, Mary J. Rolofson (Mrs. Robert
Lyle), Minnie Wakefield (Mrs. B. A. Stewart), Charles C. Brown, Por-
ter T. Wakefield.
Teacher — George II. Beatty.
Class of 1882
Members — Ed. McFarland, Harry M. Robertshaw.
Teachers— George H. Beatty, G. F. Miner (1883).
Class of 1884
Members — Lulu Kelley (Mrs. James Rehker, deceased), Jessie
Hanna (Mrs. Jessie Adams), Katy Brady, Nonie Stevenson (Mrs. O.
B. Balch), S. E. Low, F. L. Wakefield.
Teacher — F. M. McMurry.
Class of 1885
Member — Mary Buck (Mrs. Pinniwell).
Teacher — F. M. McMurry.
Class of 1886
Members — Mary Boyd, Lizzie Fullenwider (Mrs. Maloney, de-
ceased), Jennie Wakefield (Mrs. Frank Gault), Herman E. McFar-
Teacher — A. O. Rnpp.
Class of 1S87
Members — Rosa Hancock (deseased), Clara Martnf (Mrs. Clara
Osbron), Iris Ryburn (Mrs. F. L. Wakefield, deceased), Alma Thery
(Mrs. John Ross).
Teacher — E. B. Smith.
Class of 1888
Members — Ora Boyd (Mrs. Frank Ryburn), Ollie Buchanan (Mrs.
Ira White), Mamie Karr (Mrs. Mary McDowell), Flora Oliver (Mrs.
Howard Baldwin), Mary Uhrich, Mark Wakefield (Mrs. J. P. Noble).
Teacher — C. P. Coe.
Class of 1889
Members — Gertie Hooton, Addie Oliver (Mrs. Curtis), Belle Ross
(Mrs. Robey), John W. Funk.
Teacher — H. McCarrel.
Class of 1890
Member — Cora Livingston.
Teacher — O. J. Condon.
Class of 1891
Members— Dell Kitchell, Grace A. Gault (Mrs. Walter Nichols),
Teacher — F. H. Lorimer.
Class of 1892
Members— Charles A. Ryburn, Frank Karr, Sanford Martin, Harry
Teacher — F. H. Lorimer.
Class of 1894
Members— Lyman Sturgeon, Anna Surgeon (Mrs. Fred A. Clark),
Lizzie Leeper, Myrtle Hill (Mrs. C. D. Williamson), Beaman McComb
(deceased), Georgia A. Bishop (Mrs. Joseph Iden), Lucy Plummcr
(Mrs. Beaman McComb), Mary Rutledge.
Teacher — George H. Gaston.
Class of 1895
Members— Grace B. Coveny (Mrs. J. Alf VanNess), Nellie Wilcox
(Mrs. Roy Hoyt), Lelia Potts (Mrs. L. T. Rutledge), Emma L. Rankin,
Mildred Livingston (deceased), Alza McComb (Mrs. George McClure),
Caddie Oliver (Mrs. J. L. Davis), Maud Vandervoort (Mrs. Maud
Teacher— G. W. Winchell..
Class of 1896
Member — Mary Law (Mrs. William Craig).
Teacher — G. W. Winchell.
Class of 1897
Members — Gertie Houston, Pearl Nickerson (Mrs. S. L. Reader),
Dora Vanordstrand (Mrs. Frank Karr).
Teachers — G. W. Winchell, Charles A. Ryburn.
Class of 1898
Members — Mae Pipenger (Mrs. E. C. Cavanaugh, deceased), Edith
Bell (Mrs. John Perry), Daisy Willis, Fern A. Hill (Mrs. Fern Downy),
Delia V. Potts (Mrs. A. D. Liscom), Tressie Robertshaw (Mrs. Floyd
Rutledge), Vivian Clark (Mrs. Harry Willis), Virginia Turner (Mrs.
Charles Lafferty), L. B. Allen.
Teacher— Charles A. Ryburn (1897-1899).
Class of 1900
Members— Dale Lott (Mrs. Dale Flower), Ray Hill, Ora Bishop
(Mrs. Ira Nelson).
Teacher — O. J. Condon
Class of 1901
Members — Myrtle Potts (Mrs. G. G. Covey), Homer Johnson, Bard
Teacher — O. J. Condon.
Class of 1902
Members — Effie M. Delano, Myrtle M. Beck (Mrs. Gus Zimmer-
lin), Charles E. Washburn, Nella F. Passwaters (Mrs. Roy Hollis),
Mable Wakefield (Mrs. Roy Potts), Mattie E. Spaid (Mrs. Neils
Teacher — C. C. Colwell.
Class of 1903
Members — Dean L. Johnson, Bessie Passwaters (Mrs. Frank
Givens), Roy Potts, Lanier Robb, Ralph E. Jones.
Teacher — C. J. Fesler.
Class of 1904
Members — Ed. Delano, Theron Spaid, Myrtle Nickerson (Mrs. Fred
Teacher — C. J. Fesler.
Class of 1905
Members — Ethel Farley (Mrs. Dean Johnson), Mabel Marvin (Mrs.
Teacher — A. C. Hall.
Class of 1906
Members — Mary M. Fulton (Mrs. W. E. Collier), Alma Washburn
(Mrs. C. A. Downs), Herman Weishaar.
Teachers — A. C. Hall, Norma Proctor,
Class of 1907
Members — 'Harry Marker, Delia Wamsley, Pearl Evans (Mrs 1 . Perl
Teacher — A. C. Hall, Princiapl; Norma Proctor, Asssitant.
Class of 1908
Members — Walter Quinton, Ray Middleton.
Teachers — W. P. Miller, Superintendent; Jessie R. Chapman, Prin-
FOUR YEAR COURSE STARTED
Class of 1909
Members — Russell McComb, Ethel Hayes, Elmer Jensen, Ruth Ross
(Mrs. Ruth Smallwood).
Teachers — W. P. Miller, Superintendent; W. H. Kummer, Prin-
cipal; Alpha Myers, Assistant Principal.
Class of 1910
Members — Ruth Fulton (Mrs. Floyd Thomas), May Coone, Beulah
Stock-dale (Mrs. L. B. Allen), Bertha Wakefield (Mrs. Harvey Mos-
toller, Harrold Brown.
Teachers — W. H. Kummer, Superintendent; Mary Marquis, Prin-
cipal ; Elise Jenny.
Class of 1911
Members — Roy Ball, Merle Catterlin, Nellie Halsey (Mrs. E. T.
Grambrel), Leah Oldham (Mrs. Seth Weed), Gladys Powell (Mrs.
Elmer Jensen), Paul Turner.
Teachers — O. D. Rider, Superintendent; Alpha Myers, Principal;
Elise Jenny, Assistant Principal.
Class of 1912
Members — Tressie Bishop (Mrs. Claire McElheney), Marie Cusey
(Mrs. Wesley Holforty), Sadie Washburn (Mrs. Sadie Heinig), Loren
Greenlee, Wesley Holforty.
Teachers — Claude L. McCabe, Superintendent; Alpha Myers, Clara
Class of 1913.
Members — Bess Catterlin (Mrs. Paul Turner), Esther Lake, Susie
Tory (Mrs. Harrison Myers), Jessie Hayes (Mrs. Chester Vanhorn),
Marie Wakefield, Frank Sniff.
Teachers— L. R. Blohm, Superintendent; Ethel Harpole, Mary
Class of 1914
Members— Yuma Ross, Hazel Ryburn, Robert Washburn, Thomas
Teachers— L. R. Blohm, Superintendent; Edith M. Cox, Principal;
Mary Bell, Assistant Principal,
Class of 1915
Members — Fern Andrews, Nile Albin (Mrs. John Jordan), Alpha
Givens (Mrs. Alpha Radcliffe), Faye Givens (Mrs. Andrus Dunbar),
Prentice Holforty (Mrs. Roy Pierson), Marian Nichols (Mrs. Fred
Sutter), Verna Vandervoort (Mrs. Forest Dryer), Lorene Weishaar
(Mrs. Logan Powell), James McComb, Hobart Quinton, Glenn Van-
Teachers — Leonidas' Harr, Superintendent; Lois White, Principal;
Olive Blevins, Assistant.
Class of 1916
Members — Irene Ball (Mrs. Lee Moneymaker), Lois Bayless (Mrs.
Earl Jeffries), Logan Powell, Gerald Brown, Opha Catterlin (Mrs.
Earl Short), James Swearingen, Marie Vanhorn (Mrs. Courtney Stock-
dale), Marian Wagner, Maurice Wakefield (deceased), Lorraine Busick.
Teachers — Leonidas Harr, Superintendent; Lois White, Principal;
Class of 1917
Members — Opal Brown (Mrs. Opal Fielder), Joyce Givens (Mrs.
Joyce Fanning), Mabel Graham (Mrs. Marshall Brock), Fern Vanhorn,
Teachers — Roy Schofield, Superintendent; Mildred Bond, Principal,
Class of 1918
Members — Lewis Turner, Floyd Adams, Fern Ayers (Mrs. Joseph
Scott), Viola Ball (Mrs. Earl Halsey), Noble Bishop, Ida Botkin (Mrs.
Edward Fey), Leota Givens (Mrs. Park Powell), Alary Graham, Anna
Masters (Mrs. Anna Wilburn), Dorothy Oldham (Mrs. E. C. Ent),
Laura Ryburn, Leonard Slagel, Florence Stevens (Mrs. James Down-
ing), Anita Willis (Mrs. C. F. Ball), Moss Rogers (Mrs. Grant
Teachers — Leroy Hooker, Superintendent; Bertha Morris, Prin-
cipal; Eva B. Meyer.
Class of 1919
Members — Anna Ross (Mrs. Paul Huebschmann), Janice Shelton
(Mrs. Noble Bishop), Joseph Scott, Florence Ayers (Mrs. Robert Nich-
ols,) Fred Brown, William Craig, Alice Dorrell (Mrs. Earl Bell), Ora
Graham (Mrs. Carl Burton), Florence Noble (Mrs, Fred Ensminger),
Teachers — P. M. Hoke, Superintendent; Bertha Morris, Principal;
Eva B. Meyer.
Class of 1920
Members — Mary Bell (Mrs. Jacob Stahl), Paul Boljn, Helen
Nichols, Blanche Pryor (Mrs. Floyd Leggett), Emmett Rutledge,
Clifford Stewart, Helen Sutter (Mrs. Homer Bethel), Paul Vandervoort,
Robert Vandervoort, Iva Burchett (Mrs. Wilfred Lighthall) Keith Bur-
Teachers— P. M. Hoke, Superintendent; Bertha Morris, Principal;
Marie Wakefield, Sadie Benjamin.
Class of 1921
Members— Bernadine Ayers, Pearl Bell (Mrs. Guy Hieronymous),
Annette Cruickshank, Alice Cunningham (Mrs. Byrl Hickman), Madge
Iseminger, Lucile Jensen (Mrs. Olaf Herrington), Cora Scott (Mrs.
Cora Heller), Irene Sniff, William Turner, Ruth Terwilliger, Cleo
Enlows (Mrs. James Towsley).
Teachers — P. M. Hoke, Bertha Morris, Marie Wakefield, Sadie
Benjamin, Mabel Richey.
Class of 1922
Members— Madelyne Adams, Louis Burwell, Darrel Clark, Minnette
Cruickshank (Mrs. E. R. King), Glenn Dodds, Bonita Graves (Mrs.
Walter Jordan), Raymond Hoke, Agnes Jensen, Mabel Masters (Mrs.
Earl Peasley), Wilma McClure, Frances Minton, Dwight Powell, Les-
lie Ryburn, Goldie Sweckard, Bonnie Sutter, Delton Powell, Genevra
Teachers— P. M. Hoke, Bertha Morris, Irma Schoeder, Darwin
Simpson, S. N. Nalbach, Mabel Richey.
Class of 1923
Members — Lloyd Wakefield, Nannie Coomer, Grace Hoke, Pauline
Kelley (Mrs. Irvin Halsey), Carta Kiley, Gertrude Leggett, Cleo Mc-
Clure (Mrs. Paul Halsey), Marian Slagel, Lillian Smith (Mrs. Lillian
Olson), Lorene Washburn, Sula Wallen, Alberta Nelson John Curtin.
Teachers— P. M. Hoke, Bertha Morris, Irma Schroeder, Darwin D.
Simpson, S. N. Nalbach, Frances Shotwell, Hazel Ryburn.
Class of 1924
Members— David Maris, Lyle Smith, Iris Fulton, Lena Maxwell,
Carroll Masters, Virgil Rust, Roscoe Washburn (deceased), Opal
Fitchorn, Delmar Dowell, Donald Stapleton, Cecil Walden, Ada Arte-
man, Iliff Dorrell.
Teachers— S. N. Nalbach, Hazel Ryburn, Pauline Powell, Frances
Wood, Darwin D. Simpson, Lewis M. Turner, Frances Shotwell.
Class of 1925
Members — Julian Liscom, Bernadine Kelley, Ethelyne Hougham,
Buell Hollis, Vernon Bolton, Glenn Nelson, Worley Wilson, Charles
Williams, Russell Ewert, Albert Bailey, George Maris, Cladys Wil-
liams, Fern Downs, Marjorie Nichols, Evelyne Sweckard, Warren Ise-
minger, Mayme Made (Mrs. Arthur Lush), Verna Wakefield, Irene
Terwilliger, Kenneth Fogler, Hubert Tory, Frances Cruickshank, Le-
Teachers— S. N. Nalbach, Hazel Ryburn, Pauline Powell, Frances
Wood, Darwin D. Simpson Lloyd L. Ramseyer, Frances Shotwell.
Class of 1926
^ n J
The following are some items concerning Randolph Township:
1. It was formed in 1858.
2. It sent the first supervisor to the county seat, Bloomington, on
May 17, 1858.
3. It is Twp. 22 N., R. 2 E., and part of Twp. 21 N., R. 2 E. of the
3rd Principal Meridian.
4. It has part of the north tier of sections in Township 2, which
were taken by McLean County between 1844 and 1849, instead of giving
them back to DeWitt County, when it was formed.
5. It is 6 x 8 instead of 6 x 6.
6. It is bounded by the following townships: on the east by
Downs, on the north by Bloomington, on the west by Funk's Grove,
and on the south by Wapella, in DeWitt County.
7. It is in the 26th Senatorial District.
8. It is the 17th Congressional District.
9. It had 38 miles of oiled roads in 1925.
10. It will have about 40 miles of oiled roads in 1926.
11. It is the possessor of rich beds of gravel.
12. It is thinking of the possibility of sometime graveling its roads
instead of oiling them.
13. It has the following officers:
Supervisor — Dr. F. L. Wakefield.
Justice of the Peace — A. McHugh.
Town Clerk — C. C. Brown (west).
Assessor — Charles Smith.
Constable — James Christopher.
Road Commissioner — J. A. Fletcher.
14. It has a population of 1978.
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS URBANA
A HISTORY OF HEYWORTH HEYWORTH
3 0112 025394492